Monday, December 25, 2006

Christmas in Uniontown

I have to say, in this, the year of the inflatable front-yard snowglobe, the tastefully restrained decorations in Uniontown are quite charming. The preferred "historically authentic" decorum is fresh greens and a single candle in each window. A few folks couldn't restrain themselves and wrapped white lights around their evergreen garlands, but that's OK; a few with independent streaks on the edges of town put up colored (!) lights. But by and large, it's a very elegant, cheerful display. As for myself, my wreath actually made it onto the door this year, though I don't have candles in the windows. I was about to buy some, but fiscal panic set in before I did.

Here at Brambly Hedge, the presents are wrapped, the pumpkin pies are baked and the sweet potato souffle is ready to go in the oven in the morning. So gentle readers, as the clock is about to strike midnight on Christmas morning, I hope this day brings you things that are good for you, and that your hearts are filled with the peace and joy of the season. Good will to you all, and to all, good night!

No comments: