Monday, April 25, 2005

Tea Time

Another first-time garden experiment: Brewing compost tea. I need something to feed the seedlings. I have some certified organic fish emulsion, but I'm reluctant to put it on the edibles, what with all the heavy metals and PCB's they're finding in the fish we eat; I can only imagine what's in the waste fish they use for fertilizer. So I'm bubbling a bucket of tea; we'll see how it works.

So this is spring? In the fifties today, and yes, I had a few snow pellets fall on me while I was outside. I planted the huge Astilbe, the medium hydrangea, and the achillea (yarrow) and liatris that my good gardening friend Donna was culling out.

The adage goes, "better to plant a $1 plant in a $10 hole, than a $10 plant in a $1 hole." The hydrangea definitely got a $10 hole. The astilbe, maybe $5.50-$6.00; it was tough digging where I put it.

The achillea and liatris found nice homes in the cottage garden. I'm a little concerned at the number of grubs I'm finding when I dig in there; they've been my nemisis in the past. I plucked them out and tossed them on the sidewalk as I found them. It was rather satisfying to squash them, especially since they give a nice little "pop." Kind of like popping bubble wrap with your foot.

It seems I'm more open to rearranging the plants and shrubs than the furniture in my house. If the bleeding heart survives transplanting, it will be a miracle...but then again, isn't that always the case?

No comments: